Thursday 7 March 2013

The hot yoga experience (and also Hom Yoga vs Pure Yoga)

Posted by Unknown at 19:35
In January this year, I was introduced to hot yoga by a couple of my friends. I didn't know a single thing about it, and I did try to google for it to learn more, but all I got back were impersonal, questionable claims about the benefits of hot yoga.

So, I decided to write about my own hot yoga experience, and how I feel about its benefits. I've also tried two different yoga companies, and I will compare them for those who are interested.

Hom Yoga vs Pure Yoga. I can't vouch for the others like True Yoga because I haven't tried it yet. These two have similar locations, with two outlets each, one in Raffles Place, and one in Orchard. Between these two, there are pros and cons about each one, and you just have to pick one after balancing the pros and cons.

Hom Yoga

Pros:

1) Convenient online website to sign up for individual classes.

2) They charge per class, so if you are not sure if you will go regularly, it is more bang for the buck. Although, of course, you have to buy a minimum number of classes. I got the 30 class option (to use within 9 months, which is like 4 classes per month) during the promotional month of January, so I got a 15% discount, which ends up being about 24 per class. If you buy only 10 classes, the price per class is about 35, so you just pick your battles and decide which is the best for you.

3) The place is less fro-fro. The people working there do not try to be excessively obsequious, or too sales-y.

Cons:

1) It is nice and clean and functional, but don't expect spa-like features. The area is also smaller than Pure Yoga, with only two hot rooms per location, although they do offer many classes a day. I will elaborate on what they offer later.

2) They give you two clean towels, one for the mat and one for the shower. If you want another one, it's 2 bucks per towel. So, more of a no-frills place. Shampoo and soap are available though at no cost.

Pure Yoga

Pros:

1) It is NICE (at least the raffles place location). It has a HUGE bathroom, with rows of high mirrors and hairdryers. The toilet is like a spa. Seriously.

2) They have many many hot rooms to choose from. The facility is huge, and they offer complimentary ginger tea after your workout.

Cons:

1) They charge on the basis of a monthly membership. You have to commit for at least a year.

2) The rates are higher. I can't remember the exact cost, but if I go once a week, it would work out to be about 50 or more per class.

3) The front desk people are very salesy. They try to talk to you to boost a personal relationship. They will call you a couple of times to "follow up" on how you feel about the place, and if they can "count on you to be part of the family". You feel special, you feel good. But some people, like me, do not like it. It's too fake for me.

So obviously, for me, I chose Hom Yoga. So what do you need to prepare for your class? What should you expect? I shall make it easier by illustrating a step-by-step guide of going to your first hot yoga class.

1) Drink loads of water before. Like a lot. More than usual.

2) Do not eat 2-3 hours before the class. Trust me on this. I tried to sip a little beer one time and felt horrible during the session (pukish, faint, everything bad).

And then you lug your exercise clothes and arrive at the facility 10-15 min before!

Arriving at Hom Yoga.

Climbing up the stairs to the main lobby.

Me at the locker room! Can you sense the anticipation and excitement all over my face? Hurhur.

Dress as little as you can. A sports bra and shorts is usually great, unless you have yoga pants. Please bring your clothes in a plastic bag, not in a cloth bag because you WILL sweat and soak your bag. If you are conscious about your body, wear a loose baggy top over the sports bra.

I wear a head band to soak up the sweat and to prevent my bangs from getting all over my face.

Bring a bottle of water (essential!) and a towel. I usually bring a small hand towel to wipe off the sweat as well.

And then you are ready for your class!

Note: After the first hot yoga session, you will feel like death. BUT, the second one and ones after that gets wayyy better and you will actually start enjoying yourself.

Anyone who is interested, this is their website.

http://www.homyoga.sg/

If you are not sure yet but want to try it out, Pure Yoga offers a complimentary class, and Hom Yoga has a $49 one week all-you-can-go trial.

Benefits of hot yoga

When I went to google the benefits of hot yoga, I get weight loss, better health yadda yadda. One of my friends swears it slows down the aging process, and another refused to go back to it because she was "losing too much weight"(jealous!). For me personally, I like it because...

1) It makes you feel like you have worked your ass off. I hate jogging or any cardio, and in this elevated temperature setting (37-41 degrees), your heart naturally beats faster and it's similar to cardio.

2) It burns 3x calories than regular yoga.

3) I like the way it feels after a workout. I feel like my body has been purged of toxins (and water weight).

4) I'm actually healthier even since I started hot yoga. I used to fall sick like every month, but I've not been sick even since I started. Some of my friends actually feels like it is the opposite, so I think it depends on the individual.

5) It curbs my appetite. Anyone who knows me knows that I eat like a horse. It actually lowers my appetite for the next 3 days, which is good for losing weight.

6) About weight loss, I'm not entirely sure yet because the scale has maybe seen a 1kg drop only. BUT, the skirts that I have stretched out in my fattest period feel loose on me now, so I think I might be more toned now! :D

So that's my take on it. I really hope this helps! If you have any questions or comments, please comment! It's nice to see that people are actually reading this....

xoxo,
Keira













0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Forever 29. Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos